Monday, December 1, 2014

Spaghetti Supper

    A few weeks ago the New Orleans Service Learning Program put on it’s traditional Spaghetti Supper.  As someone with an older brother who was in the program for three years it wasn’t my first time being at the Spaghetti Supper, but it was my first time helping planning the event and working at it.  Everyone in the program spent the last month working hard and dedicating their time to making sure this was the best Spaghetti Supper yet.  Honestly, I’m so proud of the way this supper turned out.  Sure there were a few hiccups along the way like a bit of a tablecloth fiasco, and running out of water in the first half hour.  But sometimes I think people tend to focus too much on what wrong at events than what went right.  
    The Donations Committee got 500 breadsticks from Olive Garden, that’s right 500.  It was the first time the supper had bread sticks, and based on how many plates filled with just breadsticks came out of the kitchen, they were a big hit.  The Silent Auction Committee made the silent auction go flawlessly and the baskets they arranged were absolutely gorgeous.  The Supper Committee did an outstanding job figuring out the layout of the room and figuring out things like how much spaghetti to buy.  Finally the Decoration Committee made some pretty thrifty 1920’s inspired centerpieces.
    I know the event didn’t go perfectly, but in a way I think that’s what made it so great.  I think we’ll all look back on how frantic everything was at the time when small obstacles came in our way and laugh.  I also hope we look back at those obstacles and become proud of ourselves as individuals and as a team.  We’re a great team, and I couldn’t be prouder of us and our Spaghetti Supper.
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment