Monday, April 20, 2015

As my first work day, four other students and I went to Arc to help sort Mardi Gras bead necklaces.  I have to admit, the first half of our time there (before lunch) was a bit boring.  Things started to really pick up during lunch, when each of us tried a cup of gumbo (it was really good).  In the back of the warehouse, they have a garden to grow a lot of the ingredients that they use to make lunch.  They also have chickens - and, a side note, these chickens were not used for lunch.  When we set back to work afterwards, it was no longer boring, and I started to like the work.  Sam G. and I worked at a station together, and she pointed out something to me that was very interesting.  Not only was Arc recycling Mardi Gras beads to help the environment, but many of their employees had a mental disability or illness.  She commented that if it weren't for Arc, these people would be the ones we see out on the streets holding signs.  This really made me appreciate Arc at a whole new level.  At the end of the day, the employees and volunteers managed to process 2,000 lbs of bead necklaces.  Sam, Laura, Ms. Neilan, and I all bought bead necklaces that they sell for a dollar (most of their necklaces are bought or donated, but these were fancier necklaces that were worth at least a dollar).  It was a really fun experience as well as very educational.\
-Tess B.

No comments:

Post a Comment