Friday, April 24, 2015

Last Day in New Orleans

Coming into this trip, I didn't exactly take this group seriously. I dreaded meetings some days, and others I was excited to socialize with friends who were also in the group.

Today really did hit me hard, though. I went to "Lemonade Parade" (an awesome place for smoothies and lemonade, by the way), and helped install drywall in the ceiling of their basement, which they plan on using part of for a mentally handicapped relative's apartment. In reflections, and just about everywhere else, we always talk about "southern hospitality," but Mike and Lori, the owners, went far beyond that. During our breaks, Mike and Lori served us a total of; 3 gallons of lemonade, 4 or more hot dogs, and free smoothies for all after the day was done. Lori would not stop hugging and thanking us, and all their kind gestures were unnecessary, yet appreciated. After what must have been Lori's eighth thank you, Tyler said something that changed everything for me. Tyler told Lori that we should be thanking her and her husband (who worked pretty hard despite his sickness), because we do receive far more joy from helping them, then they do from knowing someone cares or having their home rebuilt.

I owe a major part of myself to United Saints, the City of New Orleans, all of our wonderful chaperones, and of course, Mr. Kane.

Collin Amadon

No comments:

Post a Comment